Last night was such an amazing experience for me! The Company Girls and I (my singing and dancing group) got to perform at Camp K, also know as Camp Kostopolus. It's a camp for the disabled up near Hogle Zoo in Emigration. Premier Studios have performed up there many summers before, but this was my first time going. I have always enjoyed being around those who are disabled and involving myself with them as an aid in High School, different events, and those that have been in my ward, so I was thrilled to get the opportunity to perform for them! When we got there, they all knew exactly who we were from years before, and looked at us like we were movie stars! They were so excited to see us! The show went very well, where one song we each grabbed someone from the audience. I picked this cute down syndrome girl who was so excited to come up and dance with me. She was so cute shaking her booty and trying to do what I did! We continued on with our show, with those singing solos, had someone come up and help sing. They loved it!! By the time we were at the end of our show, the whole stage was filled with people dancing and singing along with our music! We stopped our actual choreography and just had so much fun with them!! I loved seeing the looks on everyone's faces! Such a sweet moment! After our show, they did a talent show for anyone who wanted to come up. I cant even describe how awesome it was to see the sweet spirits these people showed through their singing, dancing, story telling, and even some magic tricks! One boy came up and dedicated a song to "Captain." Not sure who he was, but he started singing "Called to Serve" and was sobbing the whole time while singing. I couldn't help, but get teary eyed! Another boy in a wheelchair came up and sang "You Raise Me Up," and Man! That was a such a tear jerker too!! I was also so excited to see my Brother in Law's Brother Tyler there. He cant talk much, but when I went up to him and said I knew Frank and Taunie, his eyes lit up! It was so good to see him after many years :) Being there around those kids was such a humbling experience for me and made me appreciate more of the things I have in my life. No matter what their disability was, they had such a light about them that I cannot describe!! I am thankful to know that we will be performing a few more times this summer for other groups going up there! I just love Camp K :)
2 comments:
Wow! What an amazing experience! I'm so happy for you that you have started dancing and performing again!
Wow this sounds like an amazing experience. There's just something about people with major disabilities... they just have this sweet innocence and humility about them. We all can learn so much from them. Thanks for sharing this. I needed it. :)
Post a Comment