Monday, January 18, 2010

OVERCOMING A FEAR

This coming Sunday, Douglas and I get the opportunity to speak in church. Most people think, ok! no problem, but for me, I am seriously freakin' out!! I know I've done it many times before, but I just don't know what it is that makes me so scared to speak!! Ask me to sing, and I'll get up there, no sweat, but getting up and talking for me is horrible!! I think I get too worked up on what to talk about and worry that I am going to make a fool out of myself. And of course, I always end up crying!! So, what do I do to overcome this fear? I know I just need to rely on Heavenly Father in helping me, but it doesn't take away the sick feeling I always get from it!!

4 comments:

Nicholas Fielding said...

Aww.. c'mon.. You can stand in front of a group of strangers and sing, but you can't stand in front of them and talk?

But then again, I can't sing in front of a group of strangers.

EA said...

I think I can share your fear, also. It never is as bad as I think its going to be, but I hate showing that I'm nervous and then I get more nervous because I know that people can tell I'm nervous, etc.
I would be one of those that would rather be in the coffin than be telling the eulogy.. haha.
Good luck! I think mostly it just takes doing it a lot of times for some people. Perhaps one day you will do it with no problem.

Steve and Brooke said...

Well......since my minor is public speaking........the more times you do it. More likely you will overcome this fear. Find opportunities to teach, talk, instruct, be more outspoken...and it will help tons!! Seek out callings that take you out of your comfort zone. I myself LOVE speaking in church. I also feel like the more you know about a specific subject the more comfortable you feel in explaining it and speaking in front of everyone about it. So with whatever the subject is really really research it, make it become you...then you will be ready to speak. And of course a prayer would help too. Practice it in the mirror to time it too.

Steve and Brooke said...

Steve says the more prepared you are, the more comfortable you will be and the less nervous you will be. Like I said, really research what you are speaking about....scriptures, ensign articles, EVERYTHING!! It's all about preparation in order to feel at ease.